On Saturdays one of the moderators puts up a blog post where followers can propose topics for the following Wednesday. Once the moderators have reviewed the topics they create an online poll and #ELTchat followers are asked to vote.
Summaries and Transcripts Index
At the end of the chat someone ‘volunteers’ to make a Summary of the discussion, the moderators providing the Transcript.
Most of the tools that were mentioned during the ELTchat on 16th November 2016.
- Coloured markers: another polyvalent low tech tool.
- Cork bulletin boards.
- Interactive whiteboards were not so popular but I find Explain Everything intriguing.
- Marisa Constantinides has created a Padlet with all the tools that were suggested here: #ELTchat Tools Swapshop.
- A lot of people use various Google Tools: Google Docs, Google Slides
- I think that the only Content Management System mentioned was WordPress. Google Tools can easily be inserted into WordPress pages with the addon: Google for WordPress.* I think there’s a similar tool for Moodle.
- On the other hand several Learning Mangement Systems were mentioned which have integrated tools (forums, wikis, etc.) and students’ work can be tracked and graded.Moodle, Edmondo, Canvas
- Who doesn’t know Kindle? But how to use it in class?
- Various quiz makers for use outside LMSs were mentioned: Quizlet, Kahoot, Quizizz,
- Videos games and quizzes: Edpuzzle, PlayPhrase.me, Nawmal,
- QR Codes: QR Codes for Teachers, How to use QR codes in the classroom,
- Flipbook maker: Flip PDF Professional,
- Learning songs (fill-in-the-blanks/dictation) Lyrics Training. Huge choice of songs (not only English).
- Join.me: free screen sharing.
Odds & Ends:
- Tellagami is a mobile app that lets you create and share a quick animated Gami video.
- Wiggio makes it easy to work in groups.
- Mobile Phones: Underutilized Pedagogical Devices (slideshare) also available as a free PDF.
- Noisli – Improve Focus and Boost Productivity with Background Noise
- 53 Ways to Check for UnderstandingDice Games
Box Com “Your files on any device, from anywhere” 10 GB free for personal files.
- Dropbox File hosting service
- Six Second Stories by Faiza Qureshi. Kindle version is free.
- Jing, Snagit or Camtasia screencapture devices all made by Techsmith: choose one depending on your needs & budget
*If people are interested I can explain how to insert any
webpage in another using “copy & paste” in HTML. No need to learn